The village of Les Mosses and the Ormonts valley were established by people fleeing the invadors of the plains. Surviving initially on agriculture, it wasn’t until the middle of the 1800s that tourism started to develop in the area following the construction of the road to the Col des Mosses.
Despite a harsh existence, people adapted to the difficult conditions and established various communities. Over the centuries they fell under Savoie rule but due to their inherent ingenuity they were able to shed their oppressors, subordinating themselves only to the wealthy St-Maurice Abbey. In this way they managed to avoid the hordes of minor local princes who tried to dominate them.
However, the Abbey’s riches attracted covetous eyes and eventually fell into the hands of the triumphant princes. Due to their isolation, the Ormonts valley inhabitants managed to avoid paying certain taxes. But then came the Bernese Conquest and the locals succumbed to the power of their Excellencies. From 1530 the Reformation sweeps through the valley. Then the 18th Century sees the fall of Berne. Henceforth, the Ormonts become part of the county of Vaud. It was to be the beginning of a lasting contact with the outside world made possible by the creation of major connecting highways.
In 1839 the opening of a road for motor vehicles from Aigle which was then extended to Château d’Oex in 1870, marks the start of tourism in Ormont-Dessous. Several hotels and guesthouses see the light of day. After the brief success of the « funiluge » at Les Mosses in 1939 (one of the first in the whole of Switzerland), it took another 10 years before the arrival of new ski lifts. The ski vogue then really came into its own towards the end of the 1950s.
Route du Col des Mosses 106
1862 Les Mosses
Fax +41 (0)24 491 10 24